This had been asked a lot lately. I think it's a great question. There are two ways to find a surrogate, through an agency or independently.
An Agency is good. They are very familiar with surrogacy and laws and know lots of helpful people. They do a lot for you such as coordinating things between the surrogate and intended parents. They have a laywer recommended and therapist too. They do all the legwork. However from an intended parent point of view, agencies are very expensive. They tack on about $7-$12 thousand on to your total for surrogacy.
I went independent. I found Buffy through a website for surrogacy. I had researched the laws for the past couple years and figured I could do what an agency could. Luckily for me, Buffy was also very educated in surrogacy. This made our journey that much easier.
I think as an intended parent, you need to research all of parts of surrogacy. I found out Ohio is a very surrogate friendly state, as is New York, Michigan, Arizona, Illinois, Maryland, and Nebraska. This means surrogacy is legal there. It makes it easier because there are a lot of states that surrogacy is illegal and the birth has to take place in a surro friendly state. Luke and I will also be put right on the birth certificate as the parents. In some states you actually have to adopt your own child! crazy.
Now that we are pregnant it seems to be going somehat fast. We are already 9 weeks. I am so excited. It is such a blessing. There isn't a minute that goes by I don't realize how lucky I am. Luke and I are discussing names. For a boy I am pretty sure we will go with Vincent. For a girl, I don't know. We can't agree. I want something that goes with Isabella. Something italian. I don't know. it will come to me. I do keep up with the pregnancy. I read daily what is going on with the baby and how Buffy is feeling. I can't wait until she/we feel the baby move! You are supposed to feel it earlier with each pregnancy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment