Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

IVF in the news.......

I wasn't going to write about this, but it really chaps my ass. There is a woman, who recently gave birth to Octuplets!!!! it later came out that she used IVF and put back 6 embryos. And she has 6 children already at home ranging in age from 7-2! And she is single. And unemployed. sigh.............

There are so many wrong things with this story. I am not one to say how many children someone can have, as long as you can love them, want them, and CAN AFFORD them! She says she just loves children, well I just love children, but I want a quality life with my kids, not just a quantity of kids. How do you give love and attention to 14 when you are a single mom? how do you provide for their needs when you don't have a job?

I feel like she is giving IVF and ART treatments a bad name. She said well there are statistics. Yes there are and I am one of those. I have done 3 IVF cycles. Each time I put back 3 embryos (the normal maximum limit for three-day old embryos) I have 2 children from IVF. So lets see, I put back a total of 9 and got 2, I understand the statistics.

I also can't believe the wack-job doctor. At my clinic which is a leading clinic in the country, they believe in giving you A baby, not endangering you or a bunch of babies. They have limits on how many embies you can transfer depending on the day of the embie and the age of the mother/carrier. How could someone put back 6? If all 3 embies of our first IVF took, trust me we would be done having children.

It's upsetting because there are so many uneducated people out there and this just helps to reenforce steriotypes because this lady is crazy. ART treatments are meant to help create families, not let crazy women endanger their kids and themselves.

2 comments:

MNjen said...

I agree. That woman is insane!! And apparently so is her doctor. Did you watch her on Dateline last night?

Anonymous said...

And since when are FATHERS NOT IMPORTANT? I don't understand how you voluntarily bring children into the world and "fathers not needed". Congrats! I have twin boys via surrogacy (my sister was our surrogate). Amazing women who sacrifice so much for us.