Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Birth

So Monday morning at 5:30am we met up with Buffy and Bill at the hospital. We spent sometime filling out paperwork. Then Buffy and I headed back to a little room, there they prepped Buffy and had a bunch of questions for her. Unfortunately the hospital forms haven't caught up with surrogacy so the nurse has some troubles getting the answers she needed, but it worked out. It seemed like we were there for a while. I can admit now I was a nervous wreck! My delivery with Bella had complications, so I was pretty scared. I tried to play it off though.
Finally Luke and Bill were allowed to come back. They got Buffy ready and gave me scrubs to wear. We also were asked if two nursing students could watch the birth. It was fine with both of us.
Buffy went to get her spinal and I had to wait. Can I say that was incredibly difficult. It took about 20+ min. Finally they said I could come in. With a quick kiss to Luke, I headed to the OR.
What happened next was incredibly amazing. It will be difficult to put into words, how it felt as I watched a miracle happen. Buffy is truly an angel here on earth and it was more evident, in that delivery room.
She was drapped and on the table. I rubbed her shoulder and tried to keep her blankets up because the anistesiologist kept taking them off! brrrr. I kept trying to look over the sheet but because I am short I couldn't see too much. Buffy said she felt ok, which I was so worried about her. I mean she was going through all this surgery for me, and it's a rough one. I kept trying not to cry because I wanted to be able to see clearly. It took a while the doctor said because of scar tissue, but finally a nurse said she saw an ear, and then it happened and it happened quickly. I got my camera ready and took a ton of pictures because I felt bad Luke wasn't there.
In an instant, the OB pulled Ava out and announced "it's a girl!" and she was so beautiful. It was so incredibly emotional for me. I was bawling and it was such a miracle. The nurse took Ava to the warmer and took all her vitals. I went there to but kept looking over at Buffy to make sure she was ok. I was torn between wanting to be with both of them. Ava checked out great. She was pink and screaming. It was a wonderful sound. She had black hair and was so beautiful. As I watched Buffy though she kind of paled out and luckily the doctor gave her something and her color came back. Ava cried only a little bit and finally the nurse was done and wrapped her up and said the words "would you like to hold your daughter, MOM?" OMG -- I cried harder. I took her and brought her over to Buffy and we cried together. Looking at Buffy I knew angels truly do exist on earth!
A nurse came back in and said Luke and Bill were asking about us and she told them evereything was fine, but didn't give them the stats as she felt I should be able to do it! They asked if there was crying and the nurse told them, Yes but not by the baby.(now Bill told me, that Luke was very nervous/excited and kept pacing/checking the door for updates on us)
In the OR we got pics and then they said I could take Ava out to meet Daddy. I had to put her in the bassinet, and headed with the nurse to see Luke. i was still in tears. To see Luke's face as we rounded the corner was great. He was so excited. I gave him the stats, weight 7lbs 10oz, length 19in. Apgar 8.5. Ten fingers, ten toes, and simply breathtaking. Luke and Bill were both so excited. It was cute. My mom also came back and promptly burst into tears.

There will be more in the next post.

1 comment:

Krista said...

Congrats Momma! Following your blog has given me so much hope. I pray someday if we can't get pregnant God will bless us with our very own Angel on earth like you have in Buffy!

Ava is beautiful.

May God continue blessing your family.