Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Surrogacy timeline

I had someone ask me what exactly is the timeline for surrogacy? well, the honest answer is there isn't one. Each surrogacy journey is unique and different. Some women find their surrogate in days and immediately cycle while others it's been years and still no baby.

Here was our time line --

August 19, 2005 -- our beautiful daughter Isabella was born. During the delivery my uterus wouldn't contract. Finally the doctor got it to respond and I had several blood transfusions.

August 29, 2005 -- worst day of my life, I had massive hemmoraging requiring my OB to perform my partial hysterectomy. I needed 48 blood transfusions and was in the hospital for 5 days.

August 30, 2005 -- the day I told the nurse I would be having another baby by surrogacy (also the day I told Luke too!)

February 2006 -- found out my mom couldn't be my surrogate. I was devestated! I thought who would love this baby as much as me, who would take care of the baby like I would?

I spent the next years researching surrogacy and hoping someone would offer. A friend, a relative, someone! I put in notices at my OB's office and RE's office that I was searching. I told family and friends. I am not sure what month is was but i think it was around Thanksgiving '07 I realized no one was offering. That I would have to find someone I didn't know and trust her to carry my most precious gift.

December 2007 -- I wrote in our christmas letter that we were looking, I figured it was my last ditch attempt to find someone I knew. I also wanted to put it out there to the world I was looking.


January 2008 -- I place an ad on surromomsonline.com. after much coaxing by my PPH support ladies. I can't remember what I wrote but I was just hoping it convayed to who ever read it how much I would love another baby.

February 5, 2008 -- Met the woman of my dreams!!! She said everything I wanted to hear. She was smart and caring. A wonderful mother, had a loving husband. I knew I could trust her to carry my most precious gift.

February - April 2008 -- we spent the months emailing/texting/calling and generally geting to know each other. We made appointments at Dr. Goldfarb's for in April. Luckily Buffy wanted to begin right away as well. We sent photos and talked for a long time

April 2008 -- we each had our first appointments. The RE loved Buffy and so did I. They gave us their approval, and mapped out our IVF calendar. Unfortunately due to insurance we had to wait a bit.

May 2008 -- started meds, but were delayed a couple times.

June 2008 -- we did our stimming and ER was June 23, ET was June 26.

July 4, 2008 -- I received one of the worlds greatest gifts, an email containing a positive pregnancy test. A blood test confirmed this a couple days later. It was an awesome 4th of July. It was as if all the fireworks in the sky were for us, the whole world was happy for us.

from there it's been a healthy, happy pregnancy!

October 16, 2008 was our BIG u/s, in which Buffy and my instincts were correct and it's a GIRL!!!!!!!! I always knew I wanted to name our baby after Buffy if it were a girl. I am so happy they will always share that.

March 9, 2009 -- our c-section date. I am so ready to meet our princess and just love her. I can't wait to hold her and be with her.

So while in the term of years our journey may "seem" short, I have dreamed about this for a long, long time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! My sister carried our twin boys who will be 2 years old next month! I can't believe there are such selfless women in the world to do this for us. I'm following your blog!

Jennifer in KC